Decorating your first apartment is both a daunting and exciting task. Since you are likely going to spend a significant amount of money, it is vital to be wise in your purchases, especially in finding the right furniture for your space. There are some items that you must splurge on, while there are less critical pieces that you can spend less money on. But the key here is identifying and planning which essential items and furnishings the bulk of your budget should go on.
Which items should you spend more money on?
This can be tricky because it depends on your needs and lifestyle. But in general, these are a few of the items worth splurging on.
- If you have a small apartment, you will not have enough space to fit in several pieces of furniture, let alone an entire living room set. A good quality Kuldea sofa is always a worthy investment. Look for a piece with exceptional quality and clean design. A neutral coloured sofa is always a safe choice, but if you want to make a statement, a bright coloured sofa will make a bold statement.
- Bed and mattress. Your bed and mattress is another essential purchase you need to spend time deciding about. There are different kinds of mattresses to choose from such as spring and foam. Each choice has advantages and disadvantages, so choose one that best fits your needs.
To ensure that you are also buying high-quality furniture, research the supplier and find out the background of the brands they sell. You can also request a free consultation from their customer support to compare and contrast your options.
Items you can save money on
When it comes to choosing decorations and furniture to save money on, here are some tips:
- Dressers, armoires, and nightstands. If you have already splurged on a bed, you can buy other accessories for your bedroom at a lower price. Nightstands and dressers can be purchased second hand and refurbished. You can also search thrift shops for vintage pieces that can add character to your room, but without breaking the bank.
- Dining table and chairs. An apartment usually has a combined kitchen and dining space. As such, there will not be enough space for a formal dining table. An informal dining area with mix and match chairs is always a fun decorating You can also buy a dining table second hand to further lower the cost of decorating your apartment.
- Carpet and rugs. A beautiful rug usually ties the look of a room together. An area rug can be expensive, so you need to apply a bit of creativity if you want to save money.
The bottom line is that careful planning and making a list of your priorities can help you decorate your apartment within a reasonable budget. With some creativity and a bit of work, you can find some excellent pieces that will become invaluable additions to your first apartment for many years to come.